Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Minds of Children

Well there isn't a whole lot to update on the actual process currently. We are still getting the final documents together to send to Haiti. At that point we wait for their government to release him and ours to accept him. I thought I would give a funny story from the mind of our child. It is funny how children think. We have been talking to our kids about the adoption for quite some time now. We didn't tell them at first however when we started the paper work we told them about it. We've been talking to them about having a little brother. We have talked to Camden about moving the bunk beds into his room so when Noah comes he could sleep on the bottom and Camden would get to sleep on top. He was excited about that. We've talked about him being able to play with Noah when he gets here, etc..... Well I felt like everyone had a good grasp of what was about to transpire.......


Apparently not!! The other night I was putting Camden to bed. We read a story and we were talking again about, "when Noah comes". I mentioned again how nice it would be for him to have someone to play with just like the girls get to play together. The following was a conversation that stemmed from that.

Mommy: "Maybe you should go through your toys and get some out that you want to give to Noah, so when he gets here he has some toys that are his. Then you will have toys and he will have toys and you can both share."

Camden: "He will have toys at his house."

Mommy: "This will be his house."

Camden: "You mean he's going to stay here!!" (note: this was exclamation more out of confusion than excitement)

Mommy: "Yes."

Camden: "What about his Mommy?"

Mommy: (fighting tears) "He doesn't have a Mommy, I am his Mommy now."

Camden: "What about his sisters?"

Mommy: (still fighting) "He doesn't have any sisters. Jordy and Ali are his sisters now."

Camden: "But I saw those kids and babies in the pictures."

Mommy: "Those are his friends that he is living with until he gets to come home."

That was the end of that conversation. He was satisfied with that. I laughed as I told Jeremy about this conversation. I really thought we were doing a good job of preparing him. Obviously I was wrong!!!

It amazes me how much a four year old can understand. He didn't realize Noah was coming here to live, but he did know that there was something wrong with a little boy not having a family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How cute! "You mean he's going to stay here!" The mind of a child is amazing. I love it!

Angela