Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Drop your but and run!!!

I have been pondering some things lately about weights that hold us back. Yes, the title is a play on words(hopefully most of you realized that but I did feel the need, obviously to clarify). You know how in the word it says to "lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." This passage makes me wonder how many times we allow, not sins, but weights to hold us back in our race. Are we Christians that do whatever we want because it's not "sin", even though it might be a weight. How many times have we heard or even said ourselves, "I can do this it's not a sin." Have we ever, however, stopped to think that it might be a weight? Do we ever ask the Lord to reveal our weights or do we only focus on sins? Do we not ask because we don't want to put our flesh under any more than we already do? Are we being so self centered that we basically are saying, Lord, I know you have more for me, but....?

Can you imagine running a race with a TV strapped to your back, a refrigerator chained to your ankle, or a library of books in your arms? None of these things are sins. I don't think it is "sin" to watch TV(as long as you are not watching inappropriate material). I don't believe it is a sin to enjoy food or read a good book. Could it be though, that we sometimes do these things instead of spending time with the Lord? Could it be that if we asked, the Lord might say, "That is holding you back"? Do we choose to be held back by our lack of desire to lay aside those weights?

Sometimes, I think the biggest weight is "but". How many of us have said, "but Lord", or "I feel the Lord is leading me to....but...." How many times have we allowed natural circumstances dictate what we will do for God and what we won't? Will we still go to Heaven? Absolutely! Does God still love us? Absolutely! Can we still live a good life? Absolutely!! But imagine the sadness we may have one day, when God shows us everything He had for us and we didn't walk in it. I have decided my phrase for the day, month and maybe year is going to be "Drop your but and run!!"

13 comments:

Heather said...

This blessed me so very much this morning. Thank you!!

Angela said...

Very true. Thanks for sharing and making me think about my weights this morning. I'm thinking blogging is at the top of my weights list.

Kathy Eden said...

I really like your phrase. Perfect timing for me. Thanks for sharing!

Kristina said...

Like the play on words.

VERY thought provoking! Thank you for sharing! I have some weights to drop!

Anonymous said...

I think God had you write this for me! Thank you for sharing what is on you heart. This has got me thinking of all the "buts" I put before Christ.
Thanks for sharing!

Hope and Rob said...

Ok... that was like prophetic for me right now!!!!!! And yes... blogging has become a "but" to me too!So I better get my "butt" of the computer now and talk to my "Daddy"!!! Love you Michelle! Thanks for being obedient and posting that!!! Way to use your blog for His glory!!

Gail said...

You posted exactly what has been on my mind this week. I have been very, very guilty of the big but (and I do not mean my behind!). Jody and I are both struggling with this right now with moving to Haiti, obviously it's time for more time with our Daddy and less time saying "but..."

Sarah and Tim said...

WOW! I am the type of person who fears a lot, and when I read things like what you wrote, I feel powerful, like I have everything I need behind me to back me up (meaning the Lord) then fear gets in the way again. Thank you so much for this! Fear is my weight.

angela said...

i feel like every little day to day thing gets in the way of the big, important things. so true.

Shannon H. said...

Love it! Thanks for the motivation...now I have to get my 'but' off of the computer!

Laura said...

Michelle, this is so insightful and so true! The computer is definitely one of my weights. As is my selfish, self-indulgent mindset. Thank you for sharing such a great illustration!

Carsen said...

I like it! I also like that Noah finishes my food when I can't, that Mia laughs at me when I'm homesick and makes me realize how silly I'm being, and how Hope gives me the most precious hugs and kisses to brighten my day. You are a lucky woman!

Todd said...

AWESOME...that was one of those deep thought provoking posts like random little me would come up with...I'm so glad we're friends...ok so I'll talk to you now..hehe Thanks for sharing Michelle!!