Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Looking back.....




I'm going to take a few posts to fill you in on the smaller details of my stay and coming home. These pictures are from our departure in Haiti.

It was harder leaving than I ever dreamed it would be. The girls' birth mom and brothers had been visiting off and on during my stay and we became very close. The boys were amazing and the love of this mother was so evident. The last night there they spent the night and we, Allemagne and I, worked together to get the girls dressed and ready to go in the morning. We all cried as we left and I was unsure of how the rest of the day would go. Mia cried off and on all day, but as you can see from the pictures she was at the same time excited about the idea of going 'home'.

They did great on the plane. Mia LOVES the window seat and Hope LOVES my lap. ; ) Fortunately, we were blessed with a great flight attendant leaving Haiti. He is a christian and his parents are missionaries. He was great with the girls and allowed me to sit and hold Hope even though she was past the age of a lap child. Mia kept asking me if the plane was going to fall, but upon my reassurance she felt secure that we would stay in the air.

The long flight from Miami to Chicago they slept, almost the entire flight. Hope woke up just in time for the landing and Mia slept through it. We were delayed in Chicago (shocking, I know), but eventually headed to Evansville at 9:30pm. Mia slept again during this short flight, but woke up quickly when she realized we were finally in Evansville. I said, "Mia we're here. We are home." As we walked in the airport she said, "Where is my room?" Ok, so we're not ACTUALLY 'home' but almost. : )

It was a great day that I will NEVER forget! Thank you Lord for bringing my girls home!

17 comments:

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Awe, Michelle! I have chills! Thank you so much for sharing these precious memories with all of us!

We are so happy for all of you!

I just love the photo of the girls heading to the plane and Hope's hands on her hips. Mia looks like the worldly traveler rolling her suitcase on the tarmac. So cute!!!

Amanda said...

Sweet! I've been looking forward to your posts, but I know that you are spending PRECIOUS time with your family, finally together.

Those are great pictures, by the way! Still rejoicing with you!

Sarah and Tim said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I am so happy that they are home. You didn't have to fill us in on the sadness, the hard parts, or the joy, but what a blessing it is to know that you are willing to share in all this. We will all be blessed hearing the details. Thanks a ton Michelle!

Kathy Eden said...

Ditto to what Colleen said. I am still so excited for you & Jeremy. It's awesome to see you all together & gives the rest of us hope that our day is coming!
Thanks for sharing about their birth family. I sometimes find myself thinking about what kind of scenario will play out with my children's birthfamilies when it's time for them to leave.

Salzwedel Family said...

It is such a joy to hear these details of their homecoming! We are rejoicing with you that the girls are home & can't wait for the next installment.

Abbie said...

Precious! You have such a way of capturing these moments and putting them into words. Thanks for sharing with us.

Kristina said...

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes! Thank you for sharing the little details. It makes me feel like I was there and gives me a glimps into the future of Jonas coming home.

LOVE the picture on the tarmak of Hope! too cute, not to mention sassy!

Elisabeth said...

Thats so sweet! Thanks for filling us in.

Hope really looks ready to get home in the first picture! :)

I'm so happy for you all!!

megan haug said...

i LOVE mia asking "where is my room?" when you walked into the airport!!

oh how i wish i had been in evansville for the homecomings!

i look forward to more posts and details!

Elias said...

great pictures! those will be amazing ones to look back on. thanks for sharing.

nazpaz said...

Hello Cundiffs greetings from a Texas branch of the Cundiff family. Congratulations on the adoptions. We have two adopted grandchildren ourselves. God bless.

CG said...

Oh, I am just loving these posts. Every little detail is a treasure, and I am go grateful to you for taking the time to share each one. The hope many of us are carrying in our hearts for our own children grows larger and more beautiful when we get little clues like these as to what lies ahead for us. I am still praying for Noah and both his families every day.

salvant7 said...

wonderful memories.

thank you for sharing.

it does give me hope to keep my faith as i wait and wait.

angela said...

oh mia! that is so sweet! i CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU GIRLS!!

Price said...

Michelle, I don't know you but have found your blog from another blog and am sooo blessed everytime I read it. Your faith (and I mean your entire family) is inspiring and I am so glad the girls are home with you. I would love to know more about how you found the girls and Noah and how they came to be up for adoption. Someday my husband and I hope to adopt and your story keeps me praying for the right day and children!

Leslie said...

Michelle,
I look forward to sitting down at my computer in the evening and seeing if you have posted any new photos. Thanks for sharing these with us.
LOL when Mia asked where her room was! That was to precious!

Looking forward for more!
Lots of love to you.

Kerry said...

so awesome to know that their home. We just missed you guys in Haiti I hear. So happy for your family Michelle. Thank you for sharing your memories with us