Sunday, September 21, 2008

Race day better than ever....

Well, I didn't run.

Before you think, "WHAT!?!? All that talk and no action?!?!" let me explain.

On Wednesday evening I received a call from my mom and she had decided to join me in the race. She had just registered and would drive down Sunday morning. Knowing we would be walking, I asked Jordyn if she would like to join us. So, this morning at 7:00am we set out for our Race for the Cure. Three generations of girls joining the efforts to raise awareness and the finances needed to find a cure for breast cancer.


The morning began with the Parade of Survivors! It was such an amazing sight to see 1100 survivors from less than one year to over thirty years cancer free! I'm sure I'll never truly understand the feeling they had as they marched along knowing there are many women unable to join them; women who, unfortunately, lost their battle. We were overwhelmed with emotion as Mom walked by in celebration of the life she has!












We also were able to walk in celebration of Jeremy's grandma who had a fight of her own against breast cancer and won. Grandma Butus, we all thought of you today too!!

So, I didn't run, but I have to admit that race day was better than ever! It would not have been the same without Mom and Jordy there. Yes, I would have run. I would have burned more calories. I would have walked away with a nice time to celebrate, but today I walked away with my mom and my daughter by my side, celebrating the simple fact that we were alive and well.

10 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Good for you either way.

It's Gonna Be Me said...

How awesome, Michelle! I am so glad you had such a memorable day with two of the most important people in your life.

salvant7 said...

Way to Go!!

angela said...

wonderful! you three look great!

love you, mee-maw!

Brandy and Troy said...

Praise God for your beautiful Momma!!!
Way to go ladies.

Amanda said...

Beautiful ladies :~) I'm sure that the emotions were overwhelming and amazing.

Kathy Eden said...

Bravo Michelle Bravo!!!

Lena Just Lena said...

So awesome, Michelle. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for participating-my beautiful mom lost her battle with breast cancer in 2005. Much too soon, much too young.

Thanks again.

God is great!

CG said...

What a sweet day/post. And may I say- You, Mom & J all look lovely in pink!

Shannon H. said...

So great that it turned out to be a family event! Is there really any better way?!

Congrats!