Friday, January 05, 2007

I've got peace like a river.....

Do you remember the old hymn, I've got peace like a river? That's how I finally feel. As many of you know, this adoption has had many bends and a very slow current, but I can finally say I have total peace. I have NO idea when Noah will get to come home, but I have totally put it in God's hands and I have peace.

I thought I had put it in His hands before, but in reality I had put it in His hands as long as He would do it the way I wanted. When it wasn't happening I thought I had failed or that I hadn't had enough faith to get it done. Really, I just was asking for Him to do it my way and never once took into consideration that He might have a plan greater than mine. Imagine that!

I realize that as a parent we should want our children with us. We should miss them. We should pray that the adoptions would process quickly, but all in all we should just trust. Trust that if it doesn't happen quickly then there must be a plan that we don't see. There must be a reason. When we try to control things or get them done our way, then that puts things in our hands. When we turn it over to Him COMPLETELY, it is then and only then in His hands. It can't be in both. For the first time in this adoption I have completely put it in His hands. I continue to pray for the adoption process and for the various government employees, both US & Haitian, to have wisdom and a desire to do their jobs well, as well as to have a heart for the children and want to see them home with their families. This obviously would be for the good of all Haitian adoptions not just Noah's.

Don't get me wrong, I want him home. I wanted him home months ago. I miss him everyday!! I miss his little laugh, his quirky run, his eyes, and the look on his face when he would come inside during recess and see me across the room, the way he would call to me saying Mama and if I didn't answer he would then say Meeshell. I think if you have never adopted you don't realize the connection. Many people think of it in terms of when he gets home he will be our son, but he became our son the moment the Lord began to lead us to adopt. I remember telling Jeremy I didn't understand how I could feel a love for someone I didn't know, but that is how I felt. When God spoke to my heart about adoption He deposited a love at that moment for Noah that was unexplainable. He is just as much our son as Camden is, he just happens to live in a different country. Jeremy and I both miss him and want him home, but we know without a doubt that God has a plan. Whether Noah comes home tomorrow or five years from now nothing has changed. He is and forever will be our son! God led us to him. God called us to adopt him. God will see it to completion. It will be in His timing and it will be perfect!

A great friend of mine that is also adopting from Haiti said yesterday, "when God called me to this, He said to make her mine, He didn't give me a time." This is so true!! He promised us nothing, except that He was going to deliver our Noah from his destruction. He didn't say it would be fast. He didn't say it would be easy. He didn't say anymore than that. He didn't tell me this road would be one that would change my life in more ways than I ever imagined. He didn't tell me I would fall in love with a little country that I wasn't even sure of where it was at first. He didn't tell me that I would have such joy every time I traveled there. He didn't tell me I would love every child that I came into contact with and would fight for their right to have a great life. He didn't tell me I would become a different person in the midst of all this. He didn't tell me our adoption would start a ripple effect and would allow Him to work in ways that we never dreamed. He didn't tell me any of this, and if He had, maybe it would have scared me. I don't care that He didn't tell me, I'm just thankful that He did it!

Someone ask me the other day how my trip was, I said "oh it was great. I love being there." He said, "Really?" with this great look of such surprise. I said, "Absolutely. I would go once a month if I could." God has given me such a heart for those kids that when I'm away I miss them so much, all of them. I am so thankful that there are several coming to this area, so I can see them grow up and be a part of their lives after they are home. And not just the kids, I love the staff of Angel House, they truly are amazing people. Jeremy and I now have six adult Haitian children. LOL!!

I'm sorry. I know this has been a long post, but I wanted to report there's nothing new, currently, with regards to the process, except that I've got peace like a river!! Thank You Lord!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are one of the most amazing women I know! Thank you!

Angela said...

Bethany and I sang that song yesterday with the hand motions and everything. It's amazing the peace that he gives when we give up control and put it in his hands. I am such a control freak. God is teaching me a lot through this process. It's so hard to let go but so needed. I'm right there with ya sister. Peace like a river...

Laura said...

It's amazing how this process teaches us lessons we didn't know we needed to learn. I'm struggling thru that exact same lesson right now- the balance between asking God for big things and trusting Him to know what those big things should be. That lesson of letting God be God. Thank you for sharing what you're learning as I feel that I'm closer to understanding the answers to my questions because I've gotten to take in some of the answers to yours.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!!!! Thank you for leaving me speechless and covered in tears...it's cleansing for the soul you know!?

Anonymous said...

oh michelle! it's so great that our God has a bigger plan! He led us together and for that i am forever grateful!

Anonymous said...

Angela s right we really did do the motions yestersday. Truth be told those old songs especially the ones that are for children havethe greatest meanings behind them. They are simplistic and seem so easy but at times the things in the simplist songs seem to the most difficult to get through our little minds. I may not know the longing of what a mother feel for her children but I know the longing to see those children those amazing children. I love you and thank you for all the things you share and do for me because it has helped me in more ways than you can ever imagine. God is good all the time.

Anonymous said...

...i teared up. thanks for sharing, meeshell. it's amazing to read everyone's blogs and catch a glimpse into the adoption process...so, thanks for sharing.

and...i couldn't help it:

"The mind of man planificates his way, But the LORD directs his steps." Prov. 16:9 (NHV)

Anonymous said...

hi michelle, my name is jamie. my husband and i have recently decided to start persuing adoption and your post was so encouraging to me. we are hoping to be able to adopt from haiti, but recently found out the adoption laws might change and we might not meet their guidelines. so we are praying that God will work this out according to his plan. from the moment we said we were going for it i have felt this love for "my" child that i have never even met. i think that God started working on this love in my heart a long time ago. i am so excited to see God work through us and in us in this journey and so very nervous at the same time. your stories are so encouraging to me.thank you for sharing how God is growing you.

Michelle said...

Gail, Wow, thanks! However I do happen to know you don't have very many women friends, but at any rate, thank you. :) I am so grateful for our friendship!! I miss you. Call me soon.

Angela, I had no idea you guys sang that song. That's funny! Control freak, yeah you and me both. I thank God for giving us peace!

Laura, I so know what you mean about the whole balancing trusting and asking. I think you are right, the key is letting go. We can ask and I believe God wants us to, but then it's the trusting that is so important, just letting go and trusting!

Todd, you're welcome!

Oh, Angela(YouYou) I too am grateful and always will be for that trip in March when I met a young woman who would become an amazing friend!! I miss you my friend!

Bethany, I love you too. You are an amazing girl and I have enjoyed watching God work in your life. I hope we didn't scare you out of adulthood. :)

E, thanks! You made me laugh!

Jaime, God has a plan for the children of Haiti and I can't imagine this law is going to stay in effect. It would drastically reduce the number of adoptions from Haiti and it's not a tremendously high number to start with. Anyway, I would love to e-mail you. I have a friend that lives in Santa Clarita and she is adopting from Haiti as well. Who are you considering adopting from, if I may ask? My e-mail is mecundiff@juno.com if you are interested in contacting me. I pray God leads you and your husband to your child. It is an amazing journey.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle-

This post is so easy for me to relate to --- I can tell you that in 2002 I did the "I trust you - I don't trust you -- I want your timing - I want my timing" dance with God. The day I REALLY let go of it was so freeing ... I was light as a feather not being bogged down with it all.

Waiting is hard. But, what you are learning from waiting will be with you forever ... and God DOES teach us in these times of waiting.

Our adoption proved to be the number one faith building experience of our life ... we are so happy for you that you are getting to experience it too!

PS- I know you are not a hillbilly. And, I knew you meant especially. ;)

PPS- I am a HUGE fan of your sons name. :)